"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartanlike as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms, and, if it proved to be mean, why then to get the whole and genuine meanness of it, and publish its meanness to the world; or if it were sublime, to know it by experience, and be able to give a true account of it in my next excursion." from Henry David Thoreau's Walden

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Moved in

Somehow I managed to survive the summer and now three out of four of us have moved into the EcoHouse. Already we're filling it with food, finding that incandescent lightbulbs had been put in some of the light fixtures over the summer (gasp!) and rearranging EVERYTHING. 
It's somewhat surreal moving into a house that is partially furnished. In a way, that prevents it from feeling like my own. But at the same time I already feel comfortable lounging on a chair, or browsing the pantry looking for a snack. It's already a bit messy (thought part of that is we're still figuring out where to put things) and already has it's first bouquet of "I'm sorry" flowers-- Minnesota grown, of course.
Slowly bits of ourselves appear, reminding of our old living spaces. Today I finally hung all my posters, but still my floor is strewn with more things longing for a place-- I have yet to loft my bed for storage space. There are posters in the living room that speak of sustainability, others of art exhibitions. Decorated computers on tables and a cast iron pan in the kitchen receiving a treatment. 
It rained for the first time since I've been her last night. Even though the roof has a stone covering, it's made of metal, so each drop was a little louder than I'm used to. I guess it reminded me of camp, so the house now feels a little more familiar. 
Next week I'll be starting my internship with District 7. I'm going to be working on a project of renovating vacant houses to make them more sustainable. Sound a bit familiar? It's a bit of an EcoHouse expansion project. Most of my job will be research based but I'll also attend meetings. 
There's always more unpacking to do so I'll sign off now. Tomorrow is going to be a LONG day...

No comments:

Post a Comment